Construction companies all over Colorado have a shortage of skilled Heavy Equipment Operators that are needed for companies to compete for and complete jobs in the industry. Western Colorado is no exception. The number 1 concern of Western Colorado Contractors Association (WCCA) Members is the ability to attract and train the next generation of skilled workers without the overhead of sending employees to the other side of the state. Out of that need, WCCA has constructed a Heavy Equipment Operators Apprenticeship for Contractors in Western Colorado.
The WCCA Heavy Equipment Operators Apprenticeship includes:
- 6,000 hours on-the-job training through employer agreement and 440 classroom instruction hours over 3 year period per apprentice
- Department of Labor and Office of Apprenticeship Certification Bi– Annual pay increases based on level of completion
- Ability to transfer into other accredited programs
- Co-oped hours of OJT for area CDOT jobs
- Classes taught by area certified instructors
- Federal Assistance opportunity for veterans
- Investment into an apprentice yielding more valuable workers with greater abilities Who is eligible to apply?
- Apprentice MUST be at least 18 years of age at time of applying
- Applicants must have ability to read, write, and speak basic English in order to participate fully in the outlined curriculum and to obtain a CDL
- Applicants will be physically capable of performing the essential functions of apprentice program, with or without a reasonable accommodation, and without posing a direct threat to the health and safety of the individual or others
- Applicants will pass a screen for current illegal use of alcohol and substances on acceptance into the program in accordance with the policies of their current employer
- Applicants must possess a valid Driver’s License
HOW DO I ENROLL AN APPRENTICE?
LET US KNOW YOU ARE INTERESTED!!!
- Please let us know as soon as possible the number of employees you plan to enroll. We will send you an application and instructions for completing application
- Return applications no later than the deadline for that generation to WCCA 2470 Patterson Rd. #14 Grand Junction, CO. 81505
- An application committee will review all applications and sponsor businesses will be contacted regarding acceptance to the program. Space is limited for first year apprentices.
- All Apprenticeships will start Fall of current year and run through graduation at the completion (average 3 years) when all requirements are met.
WHAT CAN EMPLOYERS EXPECT?
- Company human resource (HR) representative to Work with WCCA and Department of Labor staff reporting hours, wages and class competition of an apprentice.
- Agreements between Sponsor and WCCA and between Apprentice and Sponsor.
- HR representative to report OJT hours to CDOT for Sponsor Company.
- Time and wages allowed for apprentice to attend classroom instruction. All classes are scheduled during the slowest part of the year so OJT hours may be available the rest of the year.
- Provide an affirmative action statement and a wage increase schedule to accompany applications.
- LESS money spent in travel expenses to acquire apprenticeship in Colorado.
- A fully trained, accredited, skilled worker at the end of the apprenticeship.
(see application for more information)